Thursday, January 29, 2009

Don't Deny Yourself Entertainment!

Times are tough! You hear it everytime you turn on the news. More people have lost their jobs and others are just not spending money. Yes times are tough and we all need to tighten our belt. But, we also need an escape from this headache even if it is just for a few hours. We need to laugh, we need to play, we need to take care of ourselves and have some fun.

If you watch a lot of DVDs, get an online DVD store membership: Membership to online movie stores like Netflix or Blockbuster Online can save you a lot of money compared to buying DVDs or renting it from a local store. You need to wait once you order the movie, but if you watch a lot of movies at home, then you can easily get into the habit of ordering ahead of time so you always have something at home. If you are patient and your library has the resources, check to see if they have a movie section. You won't get anything very new, but they are free.

If you like watching movies at the theater, go before 6:00 pm: This is one of my soft spots when it comes to spending. I really like watching movies in the theater with the big screen and the great sound effects. But instead of paying ~$10 a pop for the ticket, I usually go before 6:00pm when the tickets are a little less expensive. Also, for movies that I don’t absolutely want to watch right away, I just wait until it screens on the discount theater where the tickets are $2 a pop. I avoid the temptation to buy snacks, by usually going for a theater some time soon after lunch or sometimes sneaking in my snacks in my purse. Many stores such a Walmart, CVS and others sell movie size candy. I always make a stop so my son can have a treat without spending excess money.

No comments: